The City of Goodyear, Arizona, a city in Maricopa County was established in 1917 with the purchase of 16,000 acres of land by the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company (after whom the city is named) to cultivate cotton for its vehicle tire cords. Goodyear became a town on November 19, 1946. At the time, it had 151 homes and 250 apartments, a grocery store, a barber shop, beauty shop and a gas station. The town officially became a city in 1985. In 2008, Goodyear won the All-America City Award.
As of the 2010 census Goodyear, AZ had a population of 65,275 which is projected to grow to over 358,000 by the year 2035.
The city is home to the Goodyear Ballpark, where the Cleveland Indians and Cincinnati Reds of Major League Baseball hold spring training.
Although Goodyear was founded in 1917, the majority of construction and population growth occurred between the 1990s through the 2010s, with significant residential development stimulating its growth.